- Just getting educated does not mean that you have a sharp brain. In order keep our brain sharp we need to take time out of our busy schedule to read and keep ourselves abreast of the latest developments around us. Here are a few ways to keep your brain in good shape.
- Become a frequent reader: Make it a habit to read articles that differ from your view. Listen to people of different opinions how frrustrated you may feel.
- Learn something new: Learn something new that interests you irrespective of your age.Further playing an instrument also helps to exercise some parts of the brain especially while listening and reading.
- Teach someone: Every one of us is good at something or other. Teach your expertise to others. While teaching your students are bound to have doubts and shall ask questions. This will make you think and improve your analysing ability.
- Get some sleep: Sleeping for 7 to 8 hours a day is a must. Research has shown that neural connections are made in the brain while you are in your deepest phase of sleep.
- Mind games: Don't think that games are just for kids. Playing games like solving a jigsaw puzzle,tackling a crossword can do wonder for your brain. These will help your mind to concentrate on work. Further these games help you to de-stress.
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Thursday, March 25, 2010
- Scientists have finally achieved success in finding the world's strongest beetle called Onthophagus taurus.
- Rob Knell from University of London and Leigh Simmons from the University of Australia discovered the strongest beetle could pull an astonishing 1,141 times its own body weight- the equivalent of a 70kg person lifting 80 tonnes (almost six full double- decker buses).
Sunday, March 21, 2010
- The world is the virtual place to be. But most of the online web connects have become the place for various love games. Chatting online is no doubt beneficial but does have certain rules to be followed . Here are a few tips to be folowed while flirting online.
- Don't appear overtly eager: Okay, so you've found the guy/girl of your dreams and you are eager to get know him/ her. But wait don't make it seem like you are already dreaming about marriage.Take it slow. Once you have met the person ,casually send in your friend request after a day or two. Make sure that you don't mention that you have been to his/her profile before and have taken a peek at the pictures if there are any.
- Don't leave messages by the hour : Yes, networking sites are meant for you to keep in touch with your friend, but don't make it seem like you spend your every breathing moment on someone else's web page. In the initial stages, don't send too many messages. Your friendly overtures may be blocked within no time.
- Don't exaggerate : Try and be genuine. Impressing someone is fine but too much of faffing can land you in trouble. For example, if you don't like adventure sports, don't list it as your hobby just to appear cool. Also, if you are interested in some one, make sure that there aren't many pictures with your ex in your album... you don't want to seem lovelorn, right ?
- No chatting every time you see him/her online : Pinging him/her the moment they come online isn't a great idea. Don't make it seem like you've been up all day waiting for him /her to show up.But don't hesitate to strike a conversation after a while, but then again, don't make it a regular occurrence.
- Not too many smileys or winks, please: It's okay to bombard your friends with emoticons, but it's not a great idea when you are chatting with some one new. While sending a wink or smiley may fill in the gaps... too many of them can make you appear slightly juvenile.
Saturday, March 20, 2010
- Our thinking is full of logic but bereft of love. Relate our life to love and not logic.
- The presense of love is being in attainment with life and the absence of love is freedom from arrogance and vanity which is nothing but ego.
- Some meditation tips:
- Please try to keep your mind still. Let the heart be full of love and live inwardly like a monk.
- This will reduce your head oriented thinking and the arrogance which the ego draws from your thinking.
- Every time you feel hurt or upset feel that your mind is void and still.
- Practice this when ever you are hurt or angry. Feel as if you have no head and then the energy will slowly flow into your heart.
- Create a heart felt feeling. Be total in what ever you do whether trivial or how ever mundane it may be.
- Take only those which are essential and avoid those which are unnecessary for you like a monk. Apply this even to your thoughts and emotions.
- When the mind jumps from A to B or C to D, just feel the feelings of the objects of the thoughts of A or B or C or D.
- Withdraw inwardly to the feelings rather than to the objects of the thoughts. Go inwards rather than going out, just like a monk.
- Go still deeper and see these feelings exist in your internal space which is your inner void. Go still deep in this void which is the basis of your thoughts and feelings.
- Every time you learn how to be in this internal void your intuition will increase and your stress level will reduce.
Friday, March 19, 2010
- A report in a journal witnessed that people who took part in an online survey were internet addicts who suffered from depression.
- It found out that long hours of browsing on the internet is linked to depression.
- So next time you think time you are feeling blue, get off the internet who knows, it might make you better.
- So the best bet would be to reduce the hours on the net and fight depression.
Monday, March 15, 2010
- To gossip with colleagues about some one does help you to releive your stress. It is very difficult to avoid some one passing by your seat gossiping about the boss or some one's romance in the office.
- For many of us, the office is like a second home as we spend most of our time there. Hence, gossip is unavoidable with colleagues. According to studies conducted it is found that women gossip twice as much as compared to men.
- Women and gossip? No way! Yes. I am hearing the woman readers becoming annoyed at the outcome of the study on the ground that the members of the study group would have been only men and hence they have blamed the women as gossipers. Further I hear the women grumbling that it is mostly the men folk in the office who spread out the negatives of a male or a female colleague.
- Keep a check on the volume:Now once you have intentionally decided to roll the head of some of your colleagues, it is very much important to keep a check on the quantum of negatives that you are talking about that some one to avoid any major consequences.
- Partner's in crime: Most people think boys are more into gossiping than girls. A techie from Chennai feels that male colleagues are equal partners in crime. In fact they talk about their best buddies and bring out the negative points as a symbol of flirting.
- Therapy: Gossip is good for health and keeps one going. Gossip has its own positives. It functions as a safety in the workplace allowing the organization to energize and keep stress at bay.
Saturday, March 13, 2010
- Buying a piece of property whether a home or a business premises is an important decision in your life . So while buying a property, you should know what to look for and what to avoid at all costs.
- So if you are planning to buy a home or a business premises it helps to look at the property from a Fengshui angle.
- Fengshui provides guidelines to be followed to select a good property, whose chi level is not affected by hostile hills, whose luck is not blocked by harmful structures and and whose yang energy is vibrant and strong.
- There are also Fengshui formulas to custom design your luck. A professional Fengshui consultant would be able to identify a location that can provide good business and financial opportunities, prosperity and good health.
- Look at the terrains and the surroundings of your property. Look at the roads surrounding your property. See whether any of the roads directly point to any part of your house. Also look for natural water bodies. It is advisable to have the water bodies in the front instead of at the back of your property.
- Observe whether the design features of the house's facades and slevations look threatening.
- According to Fengshui, a property facing a fiels or a flowing river is considered to be excellent as it makes up for what is known as bright hall effect bringing in benign chi which can settle and gathe momentum before entering your house. This is the reason that a property facing greenery or a natural water body fetches a higher value.
- According to Fengshui it is always advisable to inspect the property that you intend to purchase at the time of the dragon ie between 7 a.m to 9 a.m. Further, you can also inspect the house at time pertaining to your animal sign.
- The guidelines are simple and if followed will ensure that you don't commit any blunders while puchasing your house.
- There are many things that you can do to activate the Fengshui luck of your house after you buy it.
- But before you buy a house it is necessary to get certain things right. Every house has its own Fengshui laws and please note that no house is perfect.
- How ever you should know the property what you are buying and the problems that might be associated with it. The good news is that most of the Fengshui flaws are correctible.